Translate

Friday, June 14, 2024

The Tower of the Tyrant





 

The Tower of the Tyrant has stood on the coast for over a century, a dark reminder of the days of Ragnar Ironhand. His great-grandson Sigmar destroyed the Temple of Dawn before taking refuge in the Tower, and it is up to the adventurers to put an end to his plans of conquest.

This is a Pathfinder 2nd Edition adventure for level 4 characters. Allow three or four four-hour sessions to complete it. Pregen characters accompany the maps necessary to complete this adventure.

I played the first version of this adventure after last Christmas with a group of family, and then it took me a while to make the maps to my liking. I'm quite happy with the result, using Dungeondraft with Forgotten Adventures resources. 

The hills you see on the cover were made with polystyrene squares salvaged from IKEA kitchen cabinet boxes. Most of the trees were made with twigs collected from the woods behind the house, with moss (lichen) sold for model railroading. The palm trees were purchased on Amazon and repainted, as the original colors were too garish.

Creating your own terrain is really easy. If you don't have polystyrene lying around in your cellar, a sheet of polystyrene insulation is even better, and will furnish materials for many projects. Then, a coat of paint (to insulate the polystyrene from the aerosol cans), a few strokes of gray, black and brown spraypaint, white glue and "grass" sold for model railways, and that's it.

Doing the same job with Dungeondraft is tedious. Of course, the resources are all made in advance (thanks to the Forgotten Adventures team whose style I really like) but when placing things you have to be very careful with the levels and the overlap of the elements. I'm starting to master the tools better, but there are a few map creators who make real works of art.

Also, forest maps are quick and easy compared to the interiors of ruined castles. When working on interiors, I keep adding details every time I open it, I can't stop.

I owe a big thank you to those who helped me with the proofreading: my wife, Michèle, and friends from the Pathfinder-fr Discord, Dalvyn, Alias, Darrak, Bouclier de Kraggodan and Toonsa. As well as to the original playtesters, Maëlia, Nathalaël, JT and Nicolas.



English version: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/fr/product/484670/the-tower-of-the-tyrant-pf2
French version: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/483679/La-Tour-du-Tyran


For those wondering where this tower came from, it's a battle map pack from Fat Zebra Designs. I bought it on Amazon.fr, but it seems to no longer be available, unfortunately.

Well, if you have taken “The Tyrant’s Tower (PF2)” on DrivethruRPG, don’t hesitate to give me some feedback. I'll take it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment